Tuesday, June 8, 2010

School

While the rest of America is finishing up school for the summer.  We are just beginning.  Aunt Donna gave Madeline the ABC book and she loves it.  So, I grabbed a few more books when I happened to find them at TJMaxx this last week.  The ABC book practices writing the letters.  The red Elmo book practices fine motor skills like lines, circles and shapes.  And the green preschool book practices colors, letters and numbers.  

She does pretty well with her ABC book.  But, she mostly likes to just use the marker to color all over the book.  So, I didn't have high expectations for the other books.  She is doing much better than I expected though.    

I have to say that I have noticed a huge improvement in her fine motor skills.  Although she certainly does not hold her crayon correctly, she can trace the lines pretty well in the fine motor book.  And she is starting to color better as well.  Instead of scribbles all over the page, she will color over one object at a time.  

She gets so excited when I ask her if she wants to do her school work.  We break out the preschool workbook and we do a couple pages each day.  This is her first worksheet!  I showed her how to do the first one and she drew the rest of the lines by herself.  (I do have to say that I am not a huge fan of worksheets.  But, if she is having fun, then we will do it.  And they certainly have their place in learning.)




This new interest in school work may only last for a few days.  But, we are having fun with it while it lasts.

2 comments:

The Girl said...

I have spent the last 40 minutes looking at your blog. I'm exhausted! It's awesome and so fun to look back and see older posts. And your pictures are beautiful...definitely motivates me to take better ones :-)

Sincerely Anna said...

I can't believe she's only 2 and she's doing all of this. Learning with her is going to be a lot of fun! I wish Sesame Street still published a magazine. She would've loved it! Do you get High Five?