Monday, June 14, 2010

Leave It To Beaver


We went on a little walk today around the lake.  Madeline has not been scarred from her practice baptism yesterday and was happy to get outside.  I thought I was happy about getting outside before I got outside.  The heat is one thing.  But, those pesky little bugs are the most annoying thing ever.  Maybe even more than being asked "why?" 43,938,392 times a day.  I am regretting my decision to not buy the Off Fan with 3 refills this weekend at Sam's Club.  

Anyways, these toes were cute enough to get my mind off of the bugs for a second.  

And Madeline didn't seemed bothered by them or by the choice of brown fall shoes with athletic socks that she made before she left.  I know you may be asking where her rain boots are.  They are still wet from yesterday's incident.  

The really cool thing about our walk today was that we found a beaver family.  Not the Leave It to Beavers, but an actual beaver, as in rodent, family.  See?  

I knew you probably couldn't see because I didn't have my zoom lens with me today.  So, I labeled the picture for you to help you out.  There was a mommy with 2 babies.  They could have been nursing.  But, I think they were sleeping (since Beaver's are nocturnal).  There was also a daddy beaver.  It was the cutest thing.  I know you can't really tell in the picture.  But, I'm telling you... it was cute.  

For those of you that don't know much about beavers, here are a few facts for you:
~Besides the Capybara, beavers are the largest rodents in the world.
~Their babies are called  "kits".
~They paddle with their hind feet and use their tail as a rudder.  
~A family usually consists of a mom, dad and their last 2 litters.  
~They form monogamous bonds 
~It takes them about 20 minutes to cut down a 6 inch Aspen tree.
~They have fur lined lips that  close to form a seal behind their teeth, allowing them to hold their breath while they cut, peel, or carry branches underwater. 

All facts were found here.

I know, beavers are fascinating!  Really, they are!

2 comments:

Sincerely Anna said...

Hey, I do think beavers are fascinating! What a cool surprise to find on your walk. I took J. to a nature class at Black HIlls park when he was a preschooler and we saw several beaver homes. We'll have to look into classes like that for Madeline and E. when they get a bit older.

Brad and Lauren Holmes said...

Thanks for sharing all those cool facts about beavers!!! I like your blog, Naomi, and I like being your friend too. :-) We will have to do Bruster's SOON!