Saturday, June 26, 2010

Father's Day Projects

When I told Madeline that we were going to go to Michael's to find something to make for daddy for Father's Day, her only two requests were hearts and glitter.  So, we searched for the perfect Father's Day project involving hearts and glitter.  

Once we found it, we came home to make it.  I told Madeline that we could do it as soon as Oliver went down for his nap.  I've never seen her more excited to do something.   She kept asking and asking if it was time for his nap.  She said, "I will be so happy when he goes to sleep."  I asked, "Are you not happy now."  She matter-of-factly said, "no."  

He finally fell asleep and she could hardly wait to break into the paints.  She chose the colors yellow, green and blue and worked very carefully to paint the colors on thoroughly.  I thought it would be a pretty splotchy paint job.  But, I believe I am seeing a bit of a perfectionist shine through.  Is this a first child thing?  Because, as the baby, I am definitely not a perfectionist.  

She was a little concerned about the paint on her fingers.  But, we worked through it.  

Then she added the beloved glitter, sometimes called "farkles" around here (not sure why she can't say her "sp"s).  She poured it on and I showed her how to dump it back off.  We had green farkles and yellow farkles and blue farkles.  Actually, we still have farkles, mostly the blue for some reason, stuck all over the kitchen table.  It's pretty.  

After a little drying time, I got out my trusty glue gun, added a glob of glue on the back of the hearts and she placed them where she wanted them on the picture frame.  And TA-DA! we have a Father's Day present with hearts and glitter.  She really did it all herself (except for the glue gun and a little bit of extra blue paint to help the glitter stick since it was already drying.)  It may have been a little better if I had found an actual picture to put in it.  Oh well, it is ready to go to work and be admired by all the other jealous daddies.

And we didn't forget about Oliver.  He said he wanted to do something with hearts too.  But, definitely no glitter.  That was too girly.

So, he got to do what any boy would want to do.  Walk in a mold of wet cement.  (Actually girls like to do it too.  I seem to remember getting in trouble for walking through the freshly laid cement foundation of the house next to me when I was little.  It is so irresistible.)   

So, these are our Father's Day projects for 2010.  

2 comments:

Becky Swann said...

Oh those are so great! Good job guys:)

Chantry said...

love the recent pictures that you have been able to get of Madeline! it seems like she has really grown up in the past couple of months - cute! and Oliver is precious, too! so blessed you are! hope that you enjoy the 4th this coming weekend!