Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Roanoke Diamond Dash

About a month ago, Andrew and I headed to Roanoke, Va to be a part of the first annual Roanoke Diamond Dash.  I heard about this from my cousin who works for Fink's Jewelers.  They were "hiding" a $15,000 diamond ring somewhere in Roanoke and couples were given text clues to find it.  One of my best friends, Krisha (my roomie from college) and her husband (Andrew's roomie from college joined us.  I know, it's pretty nice how that worked out.)  She just had a baby 6 weeks ago (in this picture, now it has been 11 weeks).  

We joined about 200 other couples and began our hunt through Roanoke.  We were given a text clue and then we would have to text back the answer to get our next clue.  For example, our first one was something about the Martin Luther King, Jr. statue.  So, we rode our bikes to the statue and texted back the last name of the sculptor.  Whoever completed the most clues/tasks got the most points and won the diamond.  

I think I would have blogged about this sooner if we had actually won the diamond.  We had somewhere around 60 points.  I believe the winner had about 105.  We got really stuck on one clue.  The address through us off.  Oh well, there is always next year.  We are already making plans for next year.  
1.  Do some texting exercises.  We aren't very proficient in that.  
2.  Get an IPhone.  They had clear advantages.  
3.  Definitely use our bikes again next year.  

5 comments:

Maureen said...

What a GREAT idea! I had friends who did something similar in Charleston, SC and they won $10,000! I think I want to participate in this one...:)

Lauren said...

That sounds so fun! I didn't even know about it... darn! Let me know when next years is!

JRob said...

I am toTTTTAAALLLYY coming to that next year. It sounds simply amazing.

Krisha said...

haha. I like the disclaimer that I had a baby a while back. That actually was my first outing away from Sophie! Bummer you guys didn't win. Yes to texting practice, yes to Iphone, and No to biking!! come on- you gotta run it!! that's part of the fun madness and the 3 hr long workout! :) I was sore the next day! Actually I think I want one of those motorized things you stand up on!

Naomi said...

Krisha! That was not a disclaimer. It was an awe inspiring comment. Like can you believe she looks that amazing (while I stuff my mouth with a Snickers) and is up and running for 3 hours that soon after having a baby! Are those things called a Segway? It makes me think of a mall cop. I'm sorry you didn't win either.