Friday, August 13, 2010

More Wakeboarding

I guess wakeboarding is the cool new thing.  (Not really new, but new for me.)  And these kids make it looks so easy.  Here's Sammy...

and Noah...






and Isaac.



It got a little hot on the boat, so we cooled off a little while Zeke got ready for his turn.  



Madeline and Sophie cheered everyone on.  




I decided to give it a try the next day when all the little professionals weren't watching.  I actually got up on my first try.  I still can't figure out why I don't look as cool as all the boys.  But, it is quite different than skiing.  I kept getting stuck outside the wake and couldn't figure out how to get back in.  Falling is a little different on a wake board as well.  If the front of the board catches on the water, then it slams you down face first.  It kind of feels like face planting into a concrete floor.  The headache eventually goes away though.  

After a few tries, it got kind of hard to hold on. Normally I would't post pictures of my failures.  But, I thought this was pretty cool.  
The recovery from wakeboarding goes through several stages.  First, your body feels like Jell-o.  I was thankful for help in picking up Madeline and Oliver.  I wasn't quite sure when my arms or legs would just give out.  Then next morning moves into soreness.  It isn't too bad.  I am thinking, "I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was.".  Day 3 tells me otherwise.  It is hard to move without moaning and groaning. I'm now to day 4 and I am feeling much better.  Although, my forearms are still pretty sore when I try to cut my food or open the car door.  I am contemplating going again.  But, I don't know if I can handle the 4 day recovery again.  

3 comments:

Sincerely Anna said...

If I didn't know better I would've thought you were talking about me when I started the Shred. You do look cool on that board! Go Naomi, your a rock star mom!

Building Walls said...

Ditto the previous comment! You look like a pretty awesome mom there to me! :)

Matt and Laurie Beardsley said...

I was rolling, reading your description of wakeboarding because I totally know what you mean. Matt's a wakeboarder and it was one of the first things we did, even dating. (WOW for getting up the first time!!!) Good luck with the recovery. It's not like that every time....if you do it everyday. ;-)

Gotta agree, you do look pretty rockin though!