Monday, February 1, 2010

The Verdict


So how did the taste test go?

Out of 3 kids (we had 2 friends over today), each plate mostly looked like this. The hotdog gone. The blueberries gone. Part of the red peppers gone. But, the mac n cheese still there. All by its little lonesome. I think it is safe to say that it wasn't a hit.
I will not be dismayed though. I plan on making it again. But, I think I might leave out the cream cheese. Although, I liked it. It does give the dish a different taste. I think I will also make it on the night that I plan on serving it. It wasn't quite as creamy the second night. (I just wasn't sure that I would have time to make it today with 2 extra kiddos around.) So, I will charge ahead at the task of finding a mac n cheese that is creamy and healthy. Not a powder out of a box. (no matter how much Madeline loves the mystery powder stuff)

Here is the recipe though for those of you who were interested. Maybe your kids will feel differently.
Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients:
~1 1/2 cups noodles
~nonstick cooking spray
~1T olive oil
~1T all-purpose flour
~1/2 cup skim milk
~1/2 cup butternut squash or cauliflower puree
~1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
~4 oz. cream cheese
~1/2 tsp salt
~1/8 tsp paprika
~1/8 tsp pepper

1. Make pasta
2. Coat a saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the oil, then the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the milk and cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vegetable puree, cheddar, cream cheese, and seasonings, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the macaroni and serve warm.

2 comments:

Beth Simmons said...

I definitely feel your pain:) Been there and done that! I love the pic of the fork and noodle. How'd you get all that great golden bokeh?

Brad and Lauren Holmes said...

Oh no! Well at least your hubby approved. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!!! :-)