Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kitchen Update


We have finally finished installing all of the cabinets. And we have the handles on all of them. We only had one casualty when drilling the holes for the hardware. It was my fault. I mismeasured and therefore we have a hole where there shouldn't be one. We are going to try and repair it. But, we will probably end up just replacing the drawerfront. But, it is certainly functioning for now.





I am loving all of my extra storage.


And it is very organized storage. Before, all of my utensils were thrown into two drawers that barely shut. Now, I have so many drawers and I can find everything so easily.




My pots and pans have room to breath now.

And I love the pull out feature of my other corner cabinet. It makes it so easy to reach everything in the back. (For now, it is much easier to just reach through the top where there is currently no countertop.)
And, although they aren't alphabatized, my spices are extremely organized compared to how they used to be. My spice cabinet before was so small that I used to have to take out every spice to find the one that I needed. Now, they are neatly stacked on risers for good visability. It's the small things that make me excited.
And of course, Madeline has been a great helper. She loves to measure and use the screwdriver. I have now covered our outlets with covers because I have seen her walking towards the outlets with screwdrivers. (It couldn't possibly be because we let her help daddy with the outlets).





She has also loved all the old cabinets. They make great ovens for cooking her "foods" in. For now, they are stacked in baby brother's room. Habitat for Humanity was supposed to take them today. But, they didn't want them. So, they are going to the dump. And hopefully soon.
Andrew has done most of the hard work. Unfortunately, we did have to make a trip to the Urgent Care place. On Labor Day, we were removing our old countertops and one half of it fell down, sending the other half up and he smashed his hand between the countertop and a small overhang above it. So, we spent the next 2 1/2 hours at Urgent Care getting stitches. It was not the most productive way to spend our Labor Day. But, we still got everything we needed to get done that day, done.


Andrew got 4 stitches. I took them out last night and the cut is actually still pretty deep. So, hopefully it was not a mistake to take them out. We waited more than a week. I think it will heal on up now though. At least, we're hoping.
So, inspite of a few setbacks, the kitchen remodeling is going pretty smoothly. We got a new stove installed today. We had someone measure for new countertops yesterday. And we still need to pick out tile for the floors and backsplash. And get a new refrigerator. Then we are mostly done. I think we will have all the major stuff done before baby brother (that's what we call him since we can't decide on a name) gets here. So, there you have it folks.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

impressive! i'm thinking we need an ikea place here!

Katherine said...

I like the handles on the cabinets. Did you get new appliances too?

Cade said...

Kitchen looks great.