Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Day of School

We started first grade yesterday.  It is really weird that I have a first grader.  But, Madeline just keeps growing up and she is such a joy to be around.

Here is a little flashback to this day last year when she was starting Kindergarten.  I liked my flowers way better.  I'll have to remember that next spring.   

Lucy and Eloise were still sleeping.  Since I didn't have to wake them up to get Madeline to school, I just let them sleep.  Oliver was excited about Madeline's first day of school too.  

 He helped take pictures as well.  


Then Madeline took a few too.  Oliver is not going into first grade.  He will be starting preschool next week.  


We started our day with Bible time and breakfast.  Then we had calendar time, read some history, practiced handwriting and did some writing about our summer.

We learned about open and closed syllables.  

We had snacks and tried to keep Eloise occupied with snacks.  



Oliver did calendar time and a little handwriting practice with us.  But, soon lost his enthusiasm for first grade.   He and Lucy went off to play some elaborate cars game in the other room.  

We ended our day with Mad Minute and our first math lesson.  

Then Madeline said, "That was really long."  I told her that if she was at school, she would just now be going to lunch.  She gave me a big hug and said, "Thanks for homeschooling me mommy."  So, despite having to grab Eloise off the stairs several times and the trail of snacks left around the floor, I think we had a fantastic first day of school.  

1 comment:

Trisha said...

You're blogging again!!! Hooray!

I'm so glad you're homeschooling, because I've always thought you (Naomi) would love it. I hope you do love it, even with all of it's ups and downs.

By the way, we LOVE All About Spelling. I see your tiles there.

We miss you, it's fun to see your beautiful photography again and how big your kids are getting! Keep blogging!!!